- 3 Cups Kellogg's All Bran Flakes ( I used Special K)
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten + 1 teaspoon Caramel Essence
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
- Half Cup Sunflower oil
- 250g Chopped Pitted Dates
- 2 and a half Teaspoons Bicarb
- Half Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 and a half Cups Flour
- Sprinkle: Cinnamon/ Ginger/ Mixed Spice/ Nutmeg ( The more Cinnamon the better)
In a large mixing bowl combine cereal with boiling water, stirring to moisten.
Set aside until cool, and then add - Eggs, Buttermilk, Oil, Dates and blend well.
Mix together the Bicarb, salt, sugar flour and spices.
Add to Bran mixture.
(At this point you may cover and refrigerate in a tightly covered container for as long as two weeks,
baking muffins at your convenience: I loved that part)
To bake, spoon batter into greased muffin pans (fill each cup 3 quarters full)
Bake at 220c for 20 minutes or until tops spring back slightly when lightly touched.
Makes approx 24 muffins.